Friday, March 26, 2010

When I turned 23...

I never thought I would like the age 23...it's such a weird number. I loved 18, 21 and 22...19 & 20 I could bear, but 23!!! I just didn't want to be that age. However, all the forces of the universe conspired against me and made me turn the inevitable 23 :(


As time relentlessley proceeded towards that fateful day - March 18, 2010 - my phone began beeping. I looked at the time. It was just 11 PM and a birthday message already! It turned out to be my friend NC.

NC: Why couldn't your birthday come sooner??? You should have been born a few hours earlier na.


ME: As if you did me the good turn of being born earlier :P


NC: I'm sleepy...can't I wish you now and sleep? I'll be the first one then...


ME: You can, coz even I'm sleepy :)


NC: Then sleep na, who's stopping you? What do you think, I'll come to your place with a cake at 12???

In this vein our messaging continued till 11.45 PM, when he finally wished me and slept off. Just then, my friend Indira, who is staying with me for a while, returned after watching that day's IPL. I started getting calls and she went inside to change or something. At 12.05 AM the doorbell rang. I jumped at least a foot in the air and I got to know first-hand the meaning of people's "hearts jumping into their mouths". In case this seems like unecessary drama, I'll put up an audio file of how my century-old bell rings...it jangles with such vehemence that sometimes I feel the dead will walk again.

Anyway, wide-eyed with anticipation, I opened the door...a stranger was standing outside.

MAN: Sreshta..er...Verma? (My real name)


ME: (Eyes, if possible, became wider) Huh?


MAN: Happy Bdday (He pronounced it like that!)


ME: (Gaping with mouth slightly open) Huh?

MAN: Well, he didn't actually say anythin. He just thrust a huge & very beautiful boquet of carnations and a plastic bag in my hands. Still stupefied, I looked inside my house helplessley, as if help would arrive somehow. Well, it did!!! Indira suddenly entered the living room and smiling, said, "Happy Birthday!" She has a rather sweet smile, which can immediately turn into a frown if you don't comply with her wishes. "Sit", she commanded, more like to a dog than a human. I obliged, while she paid the chap at the door.

Gosh, even in my wildest dreams I wouldn't have thought she would arrange for my favourite cake and such beautiful flowers...our mutual friend Dpk had also sent a gift for me - a little bottle of somethin ;) We spoke and played ludo (my fav board game, which also Indira gifted me), while I finished the "somethin" ;) Dpk was ready to bring reinforcements, but I had to get up early next morning...

Next morning I woke up in the same position I had slept in - not surprising considering what I had - at 6.40. In a flash I remembered I was supposed to meet Amey at some station and go to Manori beach!!! Lord, how I rushed! We had an amazing time at the beach...the minute I saw the sea I ran in and began hopping over the waves (that pretty much I can do...can't swim).

After spending a beautiful day out, I went to my parent's place for dinner and finally came back home. Indira informed me there was a note for me. Curious, I opened a piece of paper -

Dearest Tashi,


Many, many, happy returns of the day! I have three surprises for you:


1) Balcony


2) Fridge (Small one)


3) Bedroom


See ya on Sunday! Love, Mum.

I could hardly believe my eyes!!! In the balcony she had kept four potted plants (was about to buy some), in the fridge my favourite watermelon juice, and in the bedroom a stand having forks and spoons, which was conspicuous by its absence at my house. She wanted to organise a treasure hunt it seems, but didn't feel quite upto it. My God, it was so sweet of her to do so much!

This was my best birthday EVER...thanks to Indira, Dpk, Amey and my Mum. Oh yeah, thanks even to NC and the man-stranger-delivery guy at the door :D

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you were wrong thinking 23 was bad. I am glad you had a wonderful day.
BTW, Belated Birthday wishes!
This only means, a whole year of fun and happiness is waiting for you...:)

sanket kambli said...

may you have a great "23" and may all your fave people stay as lovely and caring as they are...

Tasha said...

Mr Stupid: Yeah I like my age now :) And thank you for the wishes...thanks a lot! :)

Sanky: Thank you!! :)

Sorcerer said...

23 Bad?
Nope!! it aint for me..cuz I was born on 23rd

have a fantastic year!

BIG Omi said...

Hey Tashu,

Well wush you have an amzingly sucessful year! And please accept my belated birthday wishes!

Bravo!

:)

Tasha said...

Omi: Thanks a mill! :) U wrote "wush" instead of "wish"...lol!!!

BIG Omi said...

halo! missing you! come back with a zhang bang :D