Saturday, May 17, 2008

Yet Beautiful and Proud she stood, as Born to Rule the Storm

The line is from the poem Casabianca. We learnt this in school and I still remember most of the lines. I just substituted the original “He” for “she”.

The headline of this post refers to an old lady I met at Dadar station. (14th May, 2008 at 7.30 PM).

She was old, really old. She walked with a stoop, but her head was held as high as possible. Supporting her was a small and cute boy (probably her grandson). He was only about 6 years old, but he guided and supported her well.

She wanted to go to Kalyan in a fast train, so two girls told her to go by the 7.47 PM Dadar-Kalyan. The lady couldn’t understand how to reach the other platform, so I took her.

Hell, even I get lost at Dadar station, so how can I expect an old lady to reach there alone? And would she get there in time? Anyways, I offered to carry her bags, but she looked at me and shook her head.

What eyes she had! My God, they were beautiful, green eyes. Eyes that had seen the happiness and grief of life. The wisdom reflected in those eyes was as deep as the sea. Even now those eyes haunt me.

She was really proud and independent, but I took a bag anyways.

When we got to the platform, the damn train was about to leave, so we got into a general compartment. She immediately sat near the door.

We ultimately went to the ladies compartment. This time the kid took one bag. When I asked him for it, he smiled at me and shook his head. Like Granny like Grandson! :D

It was great to meet her. I’ll always remember her and the little boy. They were vulnerable and defenceless, but that didn’t stop them from being independent and proud of their identity.


6 comments:

Komal Thakur said...

Hmm...u did nice by helping tat old lady.... really, people think tat it requires lot of time and energy to help someone but see, u did it so simply...and m sure that the old lady will also remember u always and the kid would have been inspired to help in future...

Hugs for such a cute act!!!

BIG Omi said...

That was an awesome act.. The lady seemed to be dauntless.. gosh u did something fabulous buddy..

Many of us would have turned insolent an snotty-faced .. Good act... Bravo Tasha...

Tc.Omi

Tasha said...

Komal n Omi:

Oi, the act was nothin. Think abt the lady guys...anyone would have done what I did :)

I learnt a lot from the kid. He was small n yet he was helping his Granny...how many times I would have ignored my Moms pleas for help I don't know. I'm guilty as hell.

My work doesn't give me time to help, but now I'll make time somehow :)

BIG Omi said...

oye... atleast u did it.... .. i would have done it too though..

and yes we need to help our moms ..correct.. i know work never ever gives ya time... and when we have time.. we are almost exhausted...


(Will u please remove that word verification thingie.... now its askin me to enter : vjsrghtukepntqpn ) ROFLMAO... :D

Vishwajeet Dangat said...

good wrk.....!

sanket kambli said...

good....but if i wud hav been in ur place...
i wouldn't have done it....
and if I would have been in that women's place ....
i wouldn't have let you help....
one cannot trust people nowadays....
even though it may be very difficult for me to carry it....i still would not give my bag to someone else(stranger)..coz of the fear that they will run away with it....there aint no trust....call me paranoid....!