Saturday, January 09, 2010

A new lease of life

I want to write but I don’t know how…and I’m going mad now trying to. I don’t mean write as in plain writing; I know my ABCs just as well as any five-year-old. What I mean is, once upon a time….long, long ago in fact, I used to write. I used to write stories – some short, some long. But I used to write.

Now I’m like an empty shell – an eggshell to be precise. The poor egg (that’s me) is frizzling in the pan. But the egg’s finally jumped. NOT into the fire as you may think, like the famous one in the age-old adage did. I wonder how that saying came about actually. I must Google that. Anyway, like I was saying, I did not, I mean, the egg did not jump into the fire. The smart egg waited till it was in the plate and then leaped out to explore the wide-wide world. See what I mean? I just can’t write. Look what happens – I start writing and then go on prattling about some egg.

Anyway, like the header suggests, I’ve got a new lease of life. I’ve just quit my job to pursue further studies. Lately I’ve been brooding over the fact that I haven’t been reading or studying much literature and I need to begin. A sudden urge came over me and I couldn’t help myself.

And believe me, I’m not superstitious – a black cat is just a black cat to me, and I refuse to believe a crow crowing outside my window means I’m going to have guests. What on earth could a poor crow do but crow? I don’t think The Almighty (whom also I have grave doubts about) really gave him much option. I bet crows know about this silly superstition of ours and deliberately come and harass us. They must be getting a kick out of seeing people wonder – “Oh, will Mrs. Awful-But-Full-Of-Gossip turn up today? Or could Uncle Black Sheep suddenly soil our doorstep and tarnish our reputation in The Society? Whatever, I have no problem with crows crowing…let them crow to their heart’s desire I say, because what will be will be. If I am destined to face a visitor, then so be it.

I digress. I was saying that though I’m not superstitious there were a lot of signs around. I mean, I was meeting people whom I had though I would never, and all of them had one thing in common – they all spoke about further studies and my plan to pursue literature. My urge thrived on these signs and encouraged me to give up my steady job to study. Nonetheless, I dilly-dallied. Matters came to a head when I was talking to Amey about my writing problem and told him how I don’t have the time to write. He had a simple solution – do your MA and write. MA will give me enough time to write and plus doing the thing I really really want to, will inspire me. So now, here I am, trying to start writing again.
Just keep your fingers crossed – I’m not superstitious, but since so you may believe in it, might as well do it and wish me luck! :)

4 comments:

Tauseef said...

somebody says "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." I hope it will.

sanket kambli said...

so i hope we can see more blog posts from you and not like a rare celestial happening

Tasha said...

Tauseef: Cryptic...

Sanky: I promise you'll see me online as frequently as you see your office colleagues :)

sanket kambli said...

ha ha

ok...